Rainbow Trouts are the most popular and available Trouts all over the world. But, fishing in a stocked pond can be a bit different than the usual river fishing. If you know how to fish for trout in a lake, then you have an advantage here.
Rainbow trouts are my favorite lake fish. They are abundant and taste good too. I love having fresh lake trouts for dinner.
However, it is better to go all prepared for trout fishing in a stocked lake. Here, I will give you all the required information on how to catch rainbow trout in a stocked pond. I will tell you when and where to find rainbow trouts and what gear you will need
Have you finished googling fishing ponds near me already? Then let us get started without further delay.
Table of Contents
Where and When to Fish
Trout fishing for beginners can get simple if you start in a lake or pond.
I will tell you when and where to find rainbow trouts and what gear you will need. The most convenient place to look for rainbow trouts is where the stocking truck is parked. It might sound cheating, but trust me, it is an effortless place to find many trouts.
The trouts won’t stray too far away from that spot. Look for spots that give a clear path to the water for a large truck. However, if you are too late, do not worry. There are certain places the trouts tend to go in a stocked pond.
- Like any other trout, rainbow trouts also prefer colder temperatures. So, they tend to stay deeper into the pond.
- Another great place to find them is under the overhanging trees. They provide shelter from the sunrays and predators. There is also a chance for the trouts to get food there as falling worms and insects.
- Another commonplace to find them is near logs, fallen trees, or any other underwater structures. They provide shelter and also smaller fish for Trouts to eat.
- You can find rainbow trouts on the opening or mouth of streams. The water is highly oxygenated and cold there. Plus, it is a perfect place for trouts to find possible floating morsels.
- Dams or fountains provide the same opportunities and high oxygenated water for the trouts.
Get there early
Nothing attracts anglers like a newly stocked pond. You will find the pond half empty within a few days. So, it is wiser to reach the stocked pond as soon as possible.
In the fish hatchery, the trouts are used to living in close quarters with each other. So, in the start, they are going to stay together. And then gradually spread out within few weeks. If you go early, you can catch a bunch of them in a go.
The trouts are fed pellets on a schedule in the fish hatchery. So, they take time to adapt to the pond and new wild insects and foods. However, their instincts would soon tell them which one is their food. They would not resist those foods for long.
Still, the newly stocked rainbow trouts would not feed on something that looks and smells awfully like the PowerBait you will use to catch them.
You have to get there as soon as possible. And, most importantly, in the morning. That is because the temperature is the coolest in the morning. And trouts prefer cold water.
The fishing will get slower when the sun is over the head. The trouts get deeper into the pond and do not like getting up even for food. You are at an advantage if it is a windy day. Another good time of the day is the evening when the sun starts falling.
How to catch rainbow trout in a stocked pond
Now let us talk about what you will need. You can use the usual trout fishing setup for a stocked pond.
- A light or ultralight spinning rod/reel combo: A light or ultralight spinning rod is perfect for trout fishing. These rods use light flies as lures in fly fishing. They provide accurate casting and bite sensitivity.
Ugly Stik is one of the best brands for good combos on a budget. There are other cheaper options in the market. However, if you are just starting, it is the perfect gear for you.
- Bait: Live baits and worms are good lures choice for trout. But, PowerBait is the most effective one for stocked pond trouts. However, I prefer Power Eggs. They are easy to manage and stays longer in the hook. They look something like the food in the fish hatcheries. PowerBaits come in various colors and types. Chartreuse, pink, and rainbow are popular color choices. The PowerBait dough might get messy to start.
- Line: Usually, light and ultralight rods have thicker and stronger fishing lines. But, trouts have keen eyesight. So, choose strong and not so visible lines. 4 lb test fishing line is strong enough for stocked trout.
Egg sinkers (1/4oz.)
Treble hooks (size 12-16)
Barrel swivels (size 12 or 14)
In addition to these, bring a few lures and extra lines. You can use bait in one line and a lure on the other to catch more trouts at a time.
Trout fishing rigs
You can use this simple PowerBait rig if you are new to trout fishing in a stocked point. The main trick is to float the PowerBait at the right depth so that the trout can see and smell it. You can catch many trouts using this rig.
- Cut the length of the line to 24 inches long.
- Make a Palomar knot to tie on a treble hook to one end.
- Use another Palomar knot to tie a barrel swivel onto the other end.
- Join a sinker onto the mainline.
- Bind the other end of the barrel swivel to the mainline with a Palomar knot.
- Now put PowerBaits on your hooks. As it is a dough, it might get messy. So, do not put too much in the look. If you are using Power Eggs, set one on each hook.
- Now cast it in the middle of the pond. If you see the trouts rising, make sure to direct squarely at them.
- Pause around 10 seconds and then slowly take in some of the slack from the fishing line.
- Now set your rod in the rod holder as horizontal as you can get it.
- Hook a bobber onto the line on your rod between two of the guides. Make sure it hangs about a foot or so below the rod, and take in slack if it touches the ground.
The bobber in this rig makes it easy to see when the trout bites your bait. If you see it moving up and down, then you have got it. Take the rod and give it a jerk to set the hook. Make sure you do not give it a harsh jerk as it can take the bait out of the trout’s mouth.
Now reel in, and you should get your catch.
Even though PowerBaits work great for trout fishing in a stocked lake, it is better to have few extra lures with you. If your PowerBaits or Power Eggs are not working, you can change the lures.
However, the trouts in the stocked pond are not familiar with natural foods and insects. So, some fishing lures might not work. But spoons and spinners, which rely on more instinctual reactions from rainbow trout, work great. Carry some of them with you.
Spoons look like wounded fish. Even though trouts are not familiar with natural foods like small fishes, their instincts will tell them to bite. Try to mimic wounded fish by varying your retrieval speed and add some pauses, jerks, and other irregularities.
They have a spinning blade that flashes and sends vibrations through the water. Again, this hits even stocked trout on an instinctual level. They have a spinning blade that flashes and sends vibrations through the water. Again, this hits even stocked trout on an instinctual level.
The smaller sized spinners work fine for average-size rainbow trouts in a stocked pool.
Follow these special instructions and setups and learn how to catch rainbow trout in a stocked pond.
Rainbow trouts are the most popular species of Trout fish. You can find them in many rivers and streams. They are also stocked in ponds and lakes. They are exceptionally vary in complexion. They are mostly silvery, with a light pink to red stripe on each side.
Fishing them is super fun. It is the perfect dinner after a long fishing day. A stocked pond makes it more exciting and somewhat easy yet challenging. It gives the perfect setup for beginners.
Follow the steps and tips and you will learn how to catch rainbow trout in a stocked pond in no time.
A fishing leader is a little but efficient device that protects the lures or baits from the sharp edge of the rock and the healthy teeth of the monster. It also helps the lures and lines invisible to...
A Closed face and spin-cast reel refer to the same things. It is essential for freshwater fishing. Moreover, it is compact and straightforward to use in any severe condition. The connection of a...